- General Election
May 6, 2023 General Election Information
Town elections shall be conducted in accordance with the Texas Election Code and held annually on the first Saturday in May or such other date as required by the Texas Election Code. The next Town of Providence Village General Election will be held Saturday, May 6, 2023 for the purpose of electing a Mayor and two Town Council Members, designated as place 1 and 6 for a three-year term. The Town of Providence Village contracts with the Denton County Election Administration.
Town of Providence Village Elected Officials
The Town Council shall be composed of a Mayor and six Council Members elected under the Place System, with there being Places 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6. The Mayor and each of the six Council Members shall be elected at large and serve for a term of three years. Places 2 and 4 shall be elected at an election held on the May uniform election date in 2021, and then every three years thereafter. Places 3 and 5 shall be elected at an election held on the May uniform election date in 2022, and then every three (3) years thereafter. Places 1, 6, and the Mayor shall be elected at an election held on the May uniform election date in 2023, and then every three (3) years thereafter.
Application for a place on the ballot must be filed with the Town Secretary office during the filing period for the election. The form may be found on the Secretary of State website with additional forms on the Texas Ethics Commission website. The first day to file for a place on the ballot is January 18, 2023, at 8:30 a.m. The last day to file for a place on the ballot is February 17, 2023, at 5:00 p.m.
Qualifications / Eligibility to File Election Packet
Requirements from Section 5.02 of the Town’s Home Rule Charter:
- Candidates for elective Town offices shall file for office in accordance with the Texas Election Code.
- Candidates for elective Town offices shall meet the following qualifications:
- Shall provide proof of being a United States Citizen and being at least eighteen (18) years of age at the time of the election for which they are filing;
- Shall meet all requirements to be a qualified voter set forth in the Texas Election Code at the time of the election for which they are filing; and
- Shall have resided within the corporate limits of the Town, or recently annexed territory, for at least twelve (12) months prior to the filing date.
- No candidate may file in a single election for more than one (1) office or position established by this Charter.
- No employee of the Town shall continue in such position after filing for an elective office established by this Charter.
- Home Ruler Charter-Candidate Qualifications
For a candidate packet please email the Town Secretary or stop by Town Hall during business hours. If you have any questions, please contact the Town Secretary at 940-365-9333, ext. 413.
- Notice of Drawing For Place On Ballot May 6, 2023 Election.pdf
- Notice Of Deadline To File An Application For Place On The Ballot.docx.pdf
- May 6, 2023 Town Council Election Calendar.pdf
- Resolution 2023-255 Calling May 2023 Election.pdf
- Internet Posting Requirement For Political Subdivisions Spanish.pdf
- Internet Posting Requirement For Political Subdivisions English.pdf